Most parents have spent quite a lot of time on what designer crib to buy, and often than not, a crib mattress is the last item thought about when buying stuff for your baby’s room/nursery. Purchasing a crib mattress is not that thrilling in comparison with that stylish furniture or those eye-catching designs and colors of a crib, eventually.
Why is picking the best crib mattress that suits your baby matter? First and foremost, a substantial portion of an infant’s life will be spent in a crib as babies sleep up to 18 hours a day. And that is why the crib mattress earned its importance, thus, be given more attention by new parents. After all, the baby doesn’t care, whether his nursery is composed of very fashionable furniture or not. You, as a parent, must have kept in mind that the safety and comfort of your baby come first. Your little one is at the stage where their bones are soft, and it is where they are growing.
Here are the things you should take into consideration when buying a crib mattress:
- The mattress ought to fit genuinely inside the crib. The standard size of a crib mattress is 27 ¼ inches by 51 5/8 inches, and its thickness is about 6 inches. Double-check the size of the mattress, there should be no more than two fingers of spaces between the side of the mattress and the crib frame.
- Choose a firm mattress as the soft ones can pose suffocation or worse, SIDS, to your baby. In testing the firmness of the mattress, press on the mattress. It should go back to its original form.
- Most consumers suggest the parents to buy a mattress that is covered by multiple layers; thus, it is water-resistant. Some have an anti-microbial layer that may help lessen the germs.
- A good crib mattress should have a small vent hole located along the sides of the mattress; thus, increases the airflow. It also eliminates the odor left by diaper leaks.
- Type of Crib Mattress. Basically, there are two general types of crib mattresses: foam—lighter and cheaper; coil—heavy, pricey. Alternatively, you can also be an environment-friendly parent by buying an organic crib mattress.
- Safety standard approved. The CPSC and the American Society for Testing and Materials have a safety standard to meet when it comes to crib mattresses. As for the organic crib mattress, they can be certified using the Global Organic Textile Standard.
- Being a parent can cost you a huge amount of money; from the delivery stage to the gear stuff (car seat, crib, etc.) you’ll be buying, up to their college days. However, don’t be so troubled as you can purchase a safe and durable crib mattress at a low-cost – it can range from $75 to 100. Whilst organic mattresses start at about $150 and can reach up to $500 or more.
Is it wise to buy a used or second-hand crib mattress?
We all know that crib mattresses can be expensive. Subsequently, you’ll find another way to budget your money else ware—hence, a hand-me-down crib mattress. A once firm crib mattress can become wobbly and soft, thus, putting your baby at risk. Furthermore, it can appear clean but little do you know that it may still be concealing bacteria, mold, or even fungus. Nevertheless, if you’re thinking of using your baby’s crib mattress for your next upcoming baby, perhaps, make sure to keep it clean and dry at the same time while using it. You are ought to store it in a safe and dry place, also, so that when it’s already time to use it again, it is in good condition, and the mattress is still firm.